Carbon monoxide poisoning is preventable. This dangerous gas can quickly accumulate inside your Plano, Texas, home, especially when it’s cold outside. A regular fire alarm doesn’t provide carbon monoxide detection. Therefore, installing a proper detector is key to avoiding carbon monoxide poisoning. As a result, you’ll protect your family from this dangerous gas.

Place the Detector in the Right Location

There are several ideal spots where you can place a carbon monoxide detector. Place one on every floor in a home with multiple levels. Installing them outside a bedroom can ensure you hear the detection alarm while you’re sleeping. You shouldn’t place the detectors by windows and air vents. Air flowing through these spots can hinder the detector’s effectiveness.

Placing detectors near appliances is best, but keep them at least 15 feet away and out of direct sunlight to prevent false alarms. You should place them high on your walls or on the ceiling because this is where carbon monoxide is likely to accumulate. As a result, they’ll alert you right away when there’s danger.

Schedule Heating and Cooling Maintenance

Have a qualified HVAC specialist inspect your heating and cooling unit, including wood-burning stoves and fireplaces. The flue must work properly to deter carbon monoxide poisoning. Some of today’s smart HVAC systems include carbon monoxide detectors. Annual maintenance and inspection will extend their lifespan and guarantee they’re working properly.

Pilot lights on forced-air furnaces require maintenance as well. Pilot lights have been known to produce high levels of carbon monoxide if they aren’t properly maintained.

Don’t Use Fuel-Powered Equipment Indoors

Lastly, keep all fuel-powered equipment outside the home to be on the safe side. If the power goes out, a generator can supply power to the home without you dragging it inside. Even portable backup generators can produce dangerous levels of carbon monoxide. Always read the owner’s manual and follow manufacturer recommendations when operating fuel-powered equipment.

Metro Environmental Services specializes in HVAC maintenance and indoor air quality. Contact us at 972-268-6922 to learn more valuable information on how to avoid carbon monoxide poisoning.

Image provided by Shutterstock

24/7 Emergency Services

Pin It on Pinterest